Netgear N900 Review
This is the generation of high-speed internet. Where everything is going from offline to online, one certainly needs internet connectivity to be able to stay ahead. From studies to selling things, everything is now made easy with the help of internet connectivity. To reach everything you have to stay connected.
There are several ways of staying connected like mobile data, portable hotspots like a dongle, and wireless router. Wireless routers are one of the best options to get connected. The reasons are quite obvious. It directly connects to the modem with a cable and transmits information to and from the internet.
It is the device that routes the traffic between the internet and your devices. A wide number of devices can be connected to a wireless router like tablets, PCs, printers, thermostats, smart TVs, and smart phones. The router can direct incoming and outgoing internet traffic on a particular network in the most efficient and fastest way.
Netgear N900 is a dual-band gigabit router, which improves the overall network performance with the help of 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. It decreases the risk of network traffic and signals interference from the other Wi-Fi routers.
This router is one of the incredible routers that help you to get internet access throughout your home. You will easily be able to engross yourself in playing online games and stream HD videos without any interruptions. Netgear Genie app is compatible with this router and helps you easily set up the router at home.
1. Speed and range
When you can hi-fi speed of the internet, you can stream better and play online games seamlessly. Netgear N900 allows you to do all of these with its fast download speed of 900 Mbps. It uses dual-band technology to provide coverage for the entire home. Netgear N900 has everything that is required for fast connectivity. The Wi-Fi range of the router has a good range and therefore can provide connectivity to all the internet-enabled devices of your home.
With Netgear N900, you would be able to relive the memories by sharing them with friends and family. You can find the photos, music, and videos stored on the shared USB drive and enjoy them on your DLNA TV right from your sofa. You can also play high-quality games on DLNA gaming consoles. The READYSHARE® USB access allows you to access and share content on the USB hard drive using the two USB ports. The feature of TIME MACHINE® supports automatic Mac backup to the connected USB hard drive.
3. Reliable connection
Netgear N900 allows you to stay connected with your devices, friends, and media. The dual-band Wi-Fi reduces the interference of the other routers to establish better connections. The advanced QoS technology offers higher priority for HD video streaming and low latency online gaming. Their router has two separate Wi-Fi networks amongst which 2.4GHz band is for legacy devices and 5GHz is for less interference-prone media streaming.
4. Easy to use
Netgear makes it easier for you to do more with your digital devices. The Netgear genie app allows you to manage a network with an icon-based dashboard and it also helps to monitor and control all the devices. The Push ‘N’ connect button helps to add devices to your network. The installation procedure is browser-based and is quite easy. You can do it from your iPad, smartphone, or computer.
Pros and Cons
- Netgear N900 is significantly faster with excellent throughput speed on the 5GHz band. It provides the best range with its 2.4GHz band.
- The Netgear Genie app has amazing software that makes it easy for the user to manage the settings.
- Netgear N900 has one WAN port to connect to the modem and four LAN ports for the wired clients. You can use the router for wired and wireless connections.
- The ports of the router are on Gigabit Ethernet that promised a significantly fast-wired connection.
- The router has color-changing LED lights to portray the status of the internet connection.
- The router is easy to set-up and use. You do not require any technical knowledge for the same.
- It is the first dual router from Netgear that delivers 450Mbps ceiling speed on both the bands of 5GHZ and 2.4GHz.
- The router can host two or more guest wireless networks on each band so that you can offer a separate wireless network to your guest conveniently.
- Parental control is one of the remarkable features of the router which will let you control the devices that are working on the same network.
- Netgear N900 has two USB ports that can be used for printers and external hard drives.
- Netgear N900 has standard security features like WEP, WPA2, and WPA to provide ultimate security to your network.
- It is a budget-friendly router with decent speed and range.
- There are few software issues, which need an upgrade.
- You can only position it vertically and it cannot be wall-mounted.
- The quality-of-service feature is hard to find.
- It is notably bulky in size
About the company
In the industry of technology, Netgear is a trusted brand to manufacture networking products. It is an international brand with headquarters in San Jose, California. The company was established in 1996 and since then, it has strived to become a true market leader. The networking products manufactured by Netgear are based on several technologies like a power line, Wi-Fi, LTE, and Ethernet. The products are equipped with numerous configuration possibilities to meet the requirement of all types of users. Netgear’s products are being widely preferred because they are made with the latest technology and innovation. They are easy to use and are reliable. Netgear sells its products for commercial use as well to an individual for personal use. There is hardly any cable modem company that can beat the levels of Netgear.
The dual-band wireless router of Netgear N900 works on dual-band wireless technology. It uses both the channels of 2.4GHz and 5GHz to enhance connectivity strength. The connectivity strength is improved by decreasing the risk of signal interference, which may crop up from other Wi-Fi routers. With Netgear N900, you can expect a fast throughput because of the presence of both channels. The router is suitable for spaces where there are multiple devices and till the proximity of 10 feet. Netgear N900 is a brilliant success of N70 and it has proved itself diligently. The router is compatible with the Netgear Genie app which is equipped with robust software and it helps to streamline the network operation of the router. It is a vertical standing router that occupies very less foot space. It does not have an option to wall-mount and you should consider the aspect before buying it. If you need great speed internet connectivity with a user-friendly interface, you should select Netgear N900 for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Netgear N900
1. What is required for a Wi-Fi router to work?
It depends on your internet service provider whether you need to buy a router and modem separately or a router modem. Almost all the ISPs make use of the DSL or fiber for the service of the signal conversation by a modem. In modern-day, the modem routers are equipped with built-in modems and therefore you are required to purchase only one device.
2. How can I boost up my Wi-Fi connectivity?
- You can use either of the options mentioned below to enhance the connectivity.
- Place your router at a convenient place where it is easy to receive signals.
- Always keep your router up to date.
- Make sure to cut-off the Wi-Fi leeches.
- If the speed is significantly slow, you can buy a Wi-Fi extender or booster.
- Look out for a better internet plan to suit your needs.
3. Is Netgear N900 – WNDR4500 a good router?
Netgear is a market leader to manufactures networking types of equipment. The brand assures the credibility of the products. Netgear N900 is considered as the ling of routers. When are fond of games and love to stream online videos, you can solely rely on the device. You would not have to witness any ping time, as its performance is excellent. The Netgear Genie app makes everything easy to set-up and repair. Netgear N900 is one of the highly recommended routers.
4. When does N900 – WNDR4500 operate on 2.4GHZ and 5GHz?
The router N900 – WNDR4500 detects wireless routers at both frequencies. While performing a network scan, it will scan both the frequencies to provide all wireless routers that are in the range. If your router is configured at 2.4GHz then the router will connect to it and operate. If your router is configured at 5GHz then it will operate on 5GHz.
5. How can I reset the router to the factory default settings?
The following steps would easily help you to change the settings of Netgear N900:
- Press the reset button of the router that is there on the rear panel. Hold them till the power light blinks. It would take around 5-10 seconds.
- Next, release the button and wait for the router to reboot.
- Finally, login with the default username and password.
- 1 Netgear N900 Review
- 2 Netgear N900 Review [Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4500]
- 3 Main Features
- 4 Pros and Cons
- 5 About the company
- 6 Conclusion
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Netgear N900